Thursday, March 30, 2006

Unexpected Gift

I didn't mention it because I genuinely didn't expect it to come to anything, but I entered and won our local poetry contest again this year. I entered both an essay and the poem, and I think both are going to be published. The prize is just for the poem, though.

It was a nice surprise. This is the time of the school year when both the students and we are completely sick of each other. There are many other responsibilities that are coming together right now, and I have been more than a little stressed.

I haven't had much if any time to work on my writing this year. It's been pushed to the side in a big way. I almost didn't even enter anything because I didn't feel that I had much that was ready. I hope that I have more time for writing this summer. I'm going to try to take the summer off (as much as possible) and recover.

I want to get something permanent (as much as anything can be) with the prize money. Right now, I'm thinking a tree for the yard. I don't know. As you can tell, I'm not very focused. I just wanted to share this good thing that happened.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This post is not complete however without a promise that both the poem and essay will be linked. I would very much like to read them! I understand that might be too not-anonymous, but I just thought I'd beg.

    I think this summer would be a good time to put in that darkroom and begin photo essays and poetic illustration. I have a feeling that you will be very very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will try to get the poem up in the next little while. The essay actually came from here. It's the August 05 post "Hummingbirds and Hydrogen Bombs."

    I hope to be able to get the darkroom together this summer. I want to take a class to refresh my memory on the developing, etc. This is going to be my "summer at home" when I can do a lot of things I've had to put off, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....