Wednesday, March 22, 2006

TLR and Other Things

I got my Rolleiflex yesterday. I am so proud of it. It's a physically beautiful piece of machinery. To me, all things should be made that way, substantial, with great attention to detail, function with beauty.

I have to spend some time learning to master it. It's going to be a big change from my Nikon. So much of the Nikon is automated that I can use it like a glorified point and shoot. This Rollei is going to require more intelligence on my part. Gee, I hope I can swing it. :)

I also got shot down by three or four more candidates on eHarmony. I have really begun to hate that website. The people it matches me to live on the other side of America and invariably want stick-insects to date. Since there's no refund, I won't cancel, but unless a miracle happens, I won't renew, either. Screw it.

Well, I am going back to my Wednesday night addiction, Ghost Hunters, and then I'm off to bed. Tomorrow is "Friday Eve" and I will be one day closer to playing with my Rollei.

2 comments:

  1. I've never used one of these - does it take sheet film or is it 120? Will you be putting in a darkroom?

    We were able to get all the stuff for one from ebay for not much money at all, a Beseler b/w condenser, etc. It has been fun beyond compare. Since so many are going digital the film equipment is going pretty cheaply. I'll be interested to hear how you like it. I'll bet it does feel good in the hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes 120, and apparently, that is rarer than gold. I tried to find some here in town this afternoon to no avail. :( Now I've got itchy camera fingers and no film!

    Thanks for the advice on the darkroom equipment. I have a "junk" room in the back of the house I want to convert into a darkroom. It's a long-range project, but it's good to know the equipment is becoming more accessible.

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....