Friday, July 23, 2010

Excuse Me, Please.....

I did try to mow the grass today.  Really.  I ventured out into the oppressive heat, went out and got the Husqvarna ready, and turned and turned the key.  Nothing.  Whatever has been keeping it from starting quickly has graduated to keeping it from starting altogether, and not all my cursing it and futile flailing at what parts of it I knew were safe to wiggle and adjust did any good.  Tomorrow, it will go on the new trailer my parents bought when they got their RTV and it's going to some repair shop somewhere.  I'm tired of playing lawnmower roulette every time I need to mow anyway.

After that fell through, I decided to refill my birdfeeders.  I did that, but it was so hot that I got overwhelmed with it.  Topamax reduces my tolerance to heat dramatically, and I haven't been out in the heat lately much, either, so I went to sit in my lawnchair for awhile after I got all the birdfeeders filled and the big storage container for the leftover seed stored again.  I brought out my red Camelback bottle full of ice water to try to cool down some, and I sat and read for a little while. 

I was sitting there reading, and all of a sudden, a hummingbird came zooming up at my elbow to inspect the Camelback.  He levitated there a minute, kind of stabbed at it lightly with his beak, and gave me a look before flying off.  Well, inasmuch as a hummingbird can be said to give someone a look, anyway.  There was definitely frustration in him.  I had to laugh.  It was funny in a sad way.  My feeders were all empty, and I guess that was his subtle way of trying to tell me to get off my backside and do something about it.  Hummingbirds are so feisty.

After I cooled down, I went in and filled the new feeders I got to replace the ratty, faded, broken old ones.  I had just about enough time to get them up on their hooks and get out of the way before the feathered parade began.  It was good to see.  I'll try to be more careful about that so they have full feeders from now on.  I'm scared to think about what they might do if I don't.  I'm picturing having to run a gauntlet to get to the car in the mornings....

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....