Friday, July 23, 2010

Typewriter

After being inspired by items on Etsy, I decided that I wanted to try to take some photos of meaningful objects.  I decided to start with my mother's old typewriter.  I found it out in the storage van here at the house.  It's an old Underwood.  Her office was right next to my bedroom when I lived in their house, and the desk she kept that typewriter on was on the wall the two rooms shared. 

If you've ever heard anybody type on an old-fashioned manual typewriter, you know they have a very distinctive sound.  Mom could type very fast on it.  I woke many mornings to the percussion of that Underwood coming through the wall, including the light ding of the bell indicating the carriage return was needed.  She fought the computer revolution a long, long time, not even switching over to an electric typewriter until long after I graduated from high school.

I was fairly happy with the pictures. I left most of them natural, but as you can see, I took one of them and modified the crap out of it just to see what I could make. I may use them as a computer background or on a journal cover or something.  They may not be very artistic, but they satisfy me because I know the backstory.  I think that's the most important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....