Friday, June 23, 2006

The Whole Wide World

I got a copy of this film today and watched it. I think it's one of the best movies I've seen lately. Without trying to spoil anything, I cried like a baby at the end.

Dad has always loved Robert E. Howard. He has most of the Conan series in tattered paperbacks, both Howard's and the fruit of those who followed him. Even though I was raised up on Michael Moorcock's Elric with dashes of Lovecraft and later masters like Brooks, Cook, Anthony, and scores of others, I have read very little of Howard. He was the original grand master of them all. Between Tolkein and Howard, almost all of the world of fantasy is spanned. Too many modern fantasy authors are bad imitations of one or the other style, like an image that's been photocopied so many times it's lost its original resolution. I stopped reading the genre about two years ago because I was so bored with the predictability of it. Only a few authors still interest me, Salvatore, Jordan (when I can summon up the patience to make a flow chart to keep up with all his dadgummed characters), but maybe I need to go back to where it all began and rediscover there. Now I am fascinated, and I'm going to have to borrow those books from Dad.

The portrayal of Howard absolutely broke my heart. Howard had universes in his head and the gift to get those out and onto paper. He understood the value of those places and was willing to go there and tell anyone who didn't support that to go to hell. I respect that. He was focused on the thing that he most needed to do and he understood what that thing was. I don't think he fully understood, at least based on the film Howard, how to reach for and hold the human love that would have allowed him to truly flower and live. What would he have become if he'd had someone to be the bedrock from which he sprang? The place to return to from soaring on strong wings? Could he ever have actually drawn from that stability or was he doomed from the start? That story calls to me.

I, like most of us mere mortals, have never been able to get my universes any farther than my conscious brain to play with them. I cannot write fiction worth the proverbial tinker's darn. In the film, Howard says something to the effect of you can't do something else and write, too. I think maybe that's true. Maybe that's why my fiction has always been one step up from toilet tissue. I don't put any time into it, not the sweat and blood immersion that it needs. The most detailed fiction I've done was for use in a game, not for the actual telling of the story. I have stories I'd like to tell, but I don't think I have the discipline to tell them.

For that matter, my poetry suffers from my not taking enough time to let it flow. For me, the instance of inspiration is more like an inescapable cloud burst that has to be channeled at that moment or lost rather than the deep river in which he seemed to wade. It comes over me and I have to write. I have to put it down. Later, I come back to it and tinker. Usually, during that first phase, I write it down as fast as possible, and then I have to get away from it. It bursts out and it clears away whatever thing inspired it. It doesn't really take its final form for a long time after that.

I have often wondered what it would be like to simply take a year and write. A friend of mine from college used to tell me that I needed to do that. I'd like to move somewhere like Costa Rica and spend a year in a shack on the Pacific Coast. Something Elizabeth Bishop. However, I don't know that such a luxury will ever be mine. To do that, one has to have some means of support, and God knows I am so deep in the financial hole now that I may never have large amounts of disposable income again.

The film left me moved as few films do these days and curious. Both of these things are good things in my book. It brought back to me several things that I haven't paid enough attention to lately. It made me hungry for those wonderful worlds of my childhood. Not the childish worlds, but the worlds of swords and albino kings and dragons that shaped me. It's been too long since I took the time to dive deep into those rivers and let the current take me.

4 comments:

  1. I understand what you say about writing, although "one step above toilet tissue" is, well, just not right. I don't believe it about yours.

    I used to dream I'd be a writer. I even had the first sentence of the first novel all written down.

    "My cousin Dot had had the legal number of marriages in Mississippi and would have to leave the state for the next one."

    I was sure I was the next Flannery or Eudora.
    Alas.
    __________
    I have that movie. Your commentary was so on target. It was moving and painful at once. When he was walking the streets wearing that black sombrero and the mustache, I felt her (and his) pain physically.

    Ahem....there is also the fact of *that* scene on the mountaintop, right after he talks about the new story of the gunfighter and the Indian girl *fully dressed*...."nobody can write Texas the way I can", or words to that affect. And then...whoo!

    My dvd developed a stutter from replay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your opening line. I know what you mean. I have had several "first lines" kicking around for years. I even have the opening scene and a basic outline for a fantasy novel. I've had it for years, but I don' think it's ever going to get written.

    ______________

    About the scene with on the bluff....oh my. Yeah, I can see that becoming one of my favorites. Aren't DVDs wonderful? :) And, to tell you the truth, one of my favorite things about it is that it didn't get graphic. That scene was hot enough just like it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it WAS a bluff, not a mountaintop. It was Texas, after all and it does get rather...hot in Texas. Sure enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, my dad is from Texas, and he's always telling me that's where I need to go to, and I quote, "find a real man." If there are more like Howard (or, for that matter D'Onofrio) roaming those hills, I might be caught headed west. ;)

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....