Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Love of a Kitten

It is impossible to keep a straight face in the presence of one or more kittens. ~Cynthia E. Varnado

A catless writer is almost inconceivable. It's a perverse taste, really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of the pen and walk on the typewriter keys. ~Barbara Holland

Dillon is a she. I figured that out about a week ago. She's filling out nicely and developing her cat attitude. Yoda doesn't know what to do, and Pearl is very, very hacked off. She growls low in her throat and runs away from Dillon. If you could see the difference in size, you'd understand why I think it's so funny. Pearl is approximately 3 times larger than Dillon. Yoda watches from a distance, and I swear I think she's laughing. I suppose this is a cat revenge for her after Pearl invaded her space when she came in.

Since Dillon is still tiny, I keep her in the guestroom whenever I'm not here. She has started galloping out the door whenever I open it. She enjoys the space in the rest of the house.

She's become a great comfort to me. She's the only cat in the house who seeks me out for affection. I am just a glorified butler and maid for the other two. Tiny as she is, she climbs up on the couch to be petted and to purr.

Today, I needed it a lot. I am tired. Today was my third straight big driving day. I have two more to go, and then I get a bit of a break. The conference I'm in right now isn't as far away; it's only about 85 miles. That's become chicken feed.

It was so nice to come home at the end of the day, microwave a potato, curl up on the couch with Dillon and watch Law and Order: CI. Dillon and D'Onofrio. It's pretty good living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....