Sunday, February 14, 2010

Birthday

I had a good one this year.  My best friend had a day of stuff planned, so I was just sort of carried from place to place for a day.  It was wonderful not to have to choose what to do or where to go since I spend almost every minute of every day making those decisions for myself and others.  I loved everything we did.  The food we had was wonderful, and we painted pottery which was something I haven't done since I worked for a ceramics studio in college.  It was relaxing because I was making something, and it also brought back a lot of old memories. 

After painting, we went to Borders, and of course, I am always in my home territory in a real bookstore.  I enjoy just the energy of being in them.  I found two good things to read, one for AP, and one for personal amusement. 

After I got back from Jackson, I went to the hospital to see a friend of mine's little girl.  She and I share the same birthday.  She got sick the evening of the 12th, and she's been having tests and procedures ever since.  I remember what it was like to be little and sick, and I know all too well what it's like to have your birthday suck, so I wanted to take her something.  I found a very cute little giraffe at Babies-R-Us in Jackson (one of the scariest places I think I've ever been) and took it to her since, you know, giraffes make all things better.  She seemed to be doing okay, but she already understood the mechanics of hospitals at age 3, knowing that she couldn't go home as soon as they put the IV in her hand.  I wish no child ever had to have that knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....