Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cheesy Does It

If I said you have a beautiful body would you hold it against me
If I swore you were an angel would you treat me like the devil tonight
If I were dying on thirst would your flowing love come quench me
If I said you have a beautiful body would you hold it against me
~ Bellamy Brothers
_________________________________

I was coming home from getting a banana shake after church tonight, and as I flipped through the radio stations in my borrowed vehicle I stumbled across this old, old country song. It made me laugh. It's just so....cheesy, riddled with bad pickup lines as it is.

It reminded me of this guy I used to know in college who collected back pick up lines as sort of a hobby. Every time my best friends and I would see him, he'd have a new one to try out on us. They were fabulously awful. From the classic, "Hey girl, you must be tired. You've been walking through my mind all day long," to the oldie but goodie, "Did it hurt?" "Did what hurt?" "When you fell from heaven...." to all the others he had stored up, they were always good for a laugh and a groan.

Where do these things come from? They seem to have been around in Shakespeare's time as well, and I wonder just how far back you could go and find them. That might be a good research topic, actually. How long have men been trying to pick up women with cliches? How long have women been laughing and letting them do it?

It just amused me. I guess we're silly on both sides of the equation. As long as everybody involved is laughing, no blood, no foul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....