Saturday, February 04, 2012

More Gibran

The deeper sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain. ~ Khalil Gibran, The Prophet

I haven't read The Prophet in a long time, but I guess I need to reread it.  I found a set of quotes from it on Wikiquote.  It's not a long book, and I should pick it up again.

This quote touched me.  There's something hopeful in it, isn't there?  I've never thought about it this way.  Maybe there is some compensation for hurting after all.

The past two days have been bad.  Friday, I felt like deep-fried death.  Everybody asked if I was sick, so I guess I looked like it, too.  The kids were all worried, but I just couldn't do any better than I was.  I was doing exceptionally well not to be in a ball on the floor.  I just told people I was sick and stumbled through.  I was, so it was no lie.  Today, I slept very, very late.  I've watched ridiculous movies and old sitcoms.  I slept through the rain.  At some point, I laughed for the first time since Thursday.

I have been in this place before, all the way down.  Now, I just need to start heading back up again.  It happens slowly, little steps on the way home.  I still cannot get past the idea that I've been so wrong about what I do for so long.  That part of me is still trying to heal, and I don't know how long that is going to take or what I'm going to feel like or be when it does.

Tomorrow, I'm going back to Moundville to get the necklace I wanted when I was there last week.  Monday and Tuesday, I'll be in Jackson for a conference.  I may take another day next week as well if I need it.  Little things.  I will get back on track.  I'm just not sure what track that is going to be.  Maybe soon I will also start to have the joy that replaces the sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....