Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rain and Migraines

I've had a migraine off and on all day today.  I tried ignoring it for most of the morning, but that's a little like ignoring a two-ton, bright orange monster pirouetting on ice skates while it blows one of those canned-air horns.  Not something exactly easy to overlook, really, once it decides it wants your attention....

By the time fifth period got going, I was in serious pain.  I took a Maxalt and started "the wait."  Either the medicine will get ahead of the pain or nothing will do any good and I will simply have to long for a dark, cool place to be very still until the pain stops or I die.  Fifth period finally left for lunch, and I just stayed in the room.  We are not, technically, supposed to do that, but I couldn't stand even the fluorescent lights in the hall, so I knew going outside and into the noise of the cafeteria would have been like an icepick through the eye.  I told my next-door neighbor where I was going to be and slunk back into the cool, quiet darkness of my classroom to consume my meager lunch. 

After school, we had a planning session for one of the grade level teams I'm on for the new 9wks.  I think we got a lot done, and I feel like a burden has been lifted from me.  It's great when we can stuff accomplished.  The headache continued to plague me, but I didn't take another big pill.  Even after all this time, I still avoid them as much as possible.

On the way home, the sky was lit up with lightning.  It was good to see.  I got just outside of town when the bottom fell out of it.  I put my flashers on, slowed down to about 40 and pressed on.  I needed to get home.  I'm so grateful for the rain, even though I suspect that the changing atmospheric pressure is part of what's causing my head pain.  It's worth it not to have to worry so much about wildfire. 

I'm about to go to bed.  I need sleep, and maybe all the stupid crossed wires in my poor head will reset if I get a little extra.  Tomorrow, all the dust will be washed out of the air, and I can try it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....