Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

Even though it's been a day off, it's been kind of a long one.  I did a million loads of laundry, cleaned the house to what I'd call the "moderate" level for Christmas brunch tomorrow, wrapped presents, put away the inevitable piles of junk that accumulate on the flat surfaces during school.

I took lots of time today, though, for things that weren't required.  I read a book and a half.  I am rereading the Harry Dresden books, trying to clarify some things in my mind that are fuzzy after reading book 13.  (heh.  imagine that.  thirteen books over ten years and some things are "fuzzy.")

I took my hammock outside.  Except for the cursed gnats, it was beautiful weather.  The birds were coming to my freshly-filled feeders.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky.  The sun was that perfect winter light.

I'm here now on the couch with all the lights off except the tree.  That's the rather abstract iPhone-camera version of it above.  It won't be long now before it is time to take it down for another year, so I'm spending a little time just doing nothing but enjoying it.

The tired and a headache that has been hovering all day, probably due to the incoming storms predicted for us tomorrow, are catching up to me.  I am going to stay here a little longer, and then I'll call it a night.  Tomorrow, after all, is Christmas Day, and I'll be cooking and cleaning quite a bit.

I can't help remembering all those Christmas Eves when I was little and so excited to see what Santa had brought.  Now that I'm older, it has brought a different type of anticipation, calmer, less focused on "stuff."  I look forward to tomorrow because my family will be together.  Because I'll get to see if Mom and Dad like what I got them.  It's not the same as it used to be, but somehow it's just as good.

Off to enjoy my tree.  I hope wherever you are, you're enjoying yours, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....