Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Comfort of Dogs

Since I put up my last two trivial posts, I got news that distressed me.  I won't go into it here, but suffice it to say I am sad and full of frustration.  Despair on the day after Christmas.  How lovely.

And then Chewie came over and flopped his great big head over on me.  He's not the most patient of dogs, still being a puppy mostly.  He'd rather be slapping Roux with one of his outsized paws in hopes of getting a nip-and-run reaction than being held like the giant white teddy bear he mostly is. Tonight, though, when I started crying, he got down from his leather chair and sat by me for a long time with his head against my heart and just let me pet him.  Roux occasionally would shove him out of the way and do exactly the same thing for a time.  Then they'd swap.

Whenever I have a migraine, Roux always comes and gets in the bed with me when allowed, warm and still, not asking for attention, just helping to hold me in this world when the headache is trying to spin me away.

I have no doubt that they are sensitive to moods.  What never ceases to amaze me is that they can be such a source of comfort and ease just by their simple presence.  It is almost as though their gentle fur and warmth somehow soaks up whatever is wrong and makes it dissipate.

There is a lot to be said for having dogs around when you feel bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....