Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Suspended Animation

Today disappeared almost before I knew it was really here.  

I woke a million times last night listening to rain pound the house, or, more eerily, to wind singing through the still-leafy limbs of the great live oak outside my bedroom window near dawn.  I could hear the whole house shudder, hunkering down under ridiculously strong straight-line gusts.  I kept hearing pops and snaps, and I just knew that when I got up this morning, I was going to have a yard full of tree pieces.  

When I finally got up and going, I was amazed by the fact that the tops were still in all the trees around the place. Lots of limbs, some of them largish, were plentiful, but the trees were all still there.  Fear, dark, and metal roofing magnify sounds, apparently.  I squished through the yard to take the dogs out, made it back to the couch, and was happily reading in my pjs when the pest control guy called to arrange a service appointment.

A shower and some company-acceptable clothing later, I was back on the couch reading.  I put on a playlist of music, and the hours just disappeared.  I am rereading the Harry Dresden books, and I finished one, got to the midpoint of one of the others.  I'm now on book five, I think.  Only eight more left.... Yeah.  This is a bit more ambitious than a quick Harry Potter tour.

And so, I'm sort of in suspended animation here.  I toil not, neither do I spin.  I can only do probably about one more day of this, and then I'll have to get out of the house.  Restlessness will close over me like a big fist.  Maybe a camera adventure is in order if this weather will quit trying to blow me away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....