Monday, August 31, 2009

Stepping Out on the Ledge a Few More Inches

Our local group of writers has an open mic night at a local coffee house, and one of my colleagues is a regular reader there. I've thought about going since I first heard of it, but something's always interfered, classes or knee or something. She brought it up again Friday while we were standing around waiting for a copier to be free, and I think I'm going to go.

I've only ever read my poetry publicly at the awards ceremonies for the competitions I've been in and at a writers' night we had for our students and staff at the school, so this will be another really big stretch for me. My first inclination is to just go and listen, in fact. I know, though, that if I don't throw myself off that cliff, I will lose my nerve and lose a chance to fly.

Of course, there will be some pieces that I definitely will NOT be reading. Some stuff will have to stay in the notebooks here at home. There are some cliffs I'm not ready to throw myself off no matter how amazing the flight down might be....

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....