Sunday, March 06, 2011

Backyard Birds

I took the time to fill birdfeeders today after I got back from Wal-Mart.  I have about seven feeders, not counting suet feeders or the "exotic" ones that hold cobs of corn or fruit on skewers, so it takes a little time to fill and rehang all that.  I could hear the cardinals and the chickadees up in the top of the live oak and the privet tangle chirping excitedly, telling me basically, "Hurry up and get it DONE.  We are hungry, and you are WAY BEHIND with this...." 

No sooner had my birdseed bucket and I disappeared into the house when they were already swooping down onto the fresh buffet.  As I always do, I stood at the porch door and watched them for a long while, enjoying their feathered delicacy and beauty.  Then I thought about my camera again.  I went and got it, put on my extra long zoom, tried to take a couple of pictures through the glass of the door.  The glass needs to be cleaned, though, and the angle wasn't right.  I decided to try my luck outside.

I eased the door open and all the birds flew away in alarm.  I sat down quietly on the porch steps and raised my camera, bracing my elbows on my knees.  And I sat.  And I sat.

It took fifteen minutes of being studied very carefully from a discrete distance before greed for the fresh birdseed overcame their natural timidity.  As they always are, the titmice and chickadees were first, fluttering in, stealing a seed, and flying away.  The cardinals were somewhat less trusting.  Eventually, they, too, came gliding down, and I was able to take some shots. 

It was a nice way to spend some time this afternoon, very peaceful.  I got one or two that I really like, including the one I posted here.  Maybe if I sit out there long enough, they'll just start ignoring me totally.  It would be one instance that I wouldn't mind being invisible at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....