Thursday, March 31, 2011

Songs I Hate #1

"Love the One You're With" -- Stephen Stills

"If you can't be with the one you love, honey / love the one you're with / love the one you're with...."

I was driving home today and this song came on the radio.  I usually just make a face and switch the channel or make fun of it by singing in an irritating voice, but today I decided to blog it when I got home.  Thus commences my list of songs I hate.  Don't expect to see a lot of these or to see them pop up sequentially.....

What bothers me about this song is the whole message of it.  It basically reduces love to a reaction to boredom. To me, it's like the guy is saying, "Hey, I'm horny and I'm bored.  Oh, man!  Bummer!  My sweetie isn't here!  What now?" (Looks around, sees miscellaneous woman, shrugs)  "You'll do...."  And if that isn't just the very SOUL of romance.....

I don't find the lyrics freewheeling and fun.  I find them stupid and demeaning to everything love is supposed to be about.  How about this:  "If you can't be with the one you love....F'ing WAIT."  How about that?  Because call me crazy, but last time I looked up a definition of love in the book, that's what it sort of said, chief.

/rant

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....