Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Auspicious

Apparently, May 25 is just...auspicious.  It's funny how certain dates just have lots of things connected to them.  Today is one of those days.  Maybe every day is like that, but those days don't have things that relate to me, so I don't notice.   As I've been Tumblr-ing today, the birthdays of so many different things I love have passed through my feed.  Here are a few of the most important:


  • Towel Day -- Today is the day for appreciating the works of Douglas Adams.  Don't Panic, make sure you have your towel, remember that 42 IS the answer, and you'll be fine.
  • Star Wars -- It premiered in 1977, making it just slightly younger than me.  I still remember going to see one of the later episodes at our now-totally defunct drive-in theater.  C-3PO's giant golden face is indelibly carved into my childhood memories.  I wish I could somehow have the same sort of experience as an adult.  It's hard to believe that the series itself will be 35 next year.  We're all getting older, aren't we?  At least with the films, the quality stays the same.
  • Ralph Waldo Emerson -- My favorite Transcendentalist was born today.  His words literally transformed the way I thought about life and my place in it when I read them for the first time.  I think everybody ought to read him when they're 17 or 18 and trying to figure out who they are.  He doesn't try to define that for any person, but he (along with Thoreau, although Thoreau never moved me the way Emerson does) surely stands by the road and points the way.  To me, he's the king of American philosophers.  
There may be something else.  I'm waiting to see.  These three are trifecta enough, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....