Thursday, May 26, 2011

Insane -- Garrison Keillor

I wake up in the morning, eat some cantaloupe,
Toast two slices of bread, pour hot water through
The coffee, read about Obama and the pope
And think tenderly of faraway you.
A cold day in hell and my soul is haunted.
I am a ghost here.  All I ever wanted,
My love, is to be in your arms, my love.
You're flying to the rainy plains of Spain
And I'm snowbound alone on a rather grand
Street in St. Paul going quietly insane,
Wishing you'd call or something.  I stand
At the window as if you might suddenly appear.
O I would give anything -- anything! Do you hear
Me, love? -- if I could be in your arms, my love.
____________________

One of the things I got today was Garrison Keillor's book, 77 Love Sonnets.  This one struck me particularly, so I thought I'd share it here.  If you've never felt like this, then you're probably leading a blessed life, and I envy you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....