Monday, November 19, 2012

A Post from the Frontlines


I got a girl in the war, Paul
I know that they can hear me yell
If they can't find a way to help her they can go to Hell
If they can¹t find a way to help her they can go to Hell
~ "Girl in the War" - Josh Ritter

There are a couple of Josh Ritter's songs (okay, more than a couple), that I feel a very personal attachment to.  This is one of them.

I frequently feel like I am the girl in this song.  I don't feel abandoned by God.  He's not the problem.  Sometimes, though, I do feel like I've been overlooked by others who have power over my life here.

Case in point:  I recently made a request that was powerfully important to me.  In the grand scheme of the universe, it was not a big deal.  I am aware of that.  That's why I started early, was willing to be patient.  Things are hectic.  I didn't expect my concern to consume anyone.  What I expected was a period of waiting followed by a clear yes or no.  What I got instead was completely ignored.  As in, not even an acknowledgement that I exist.  As in, twice.  As in, hung out in Limbo and forgotten, irrelevant.

Nothing makes you feel quite so good as being totally ignored.  Nothing confirms your place as a valued person like that does.  Nothing makes you want to spring out of bed with a little song in your heart and race forward into the day's challenges quite like it.

And nothing will make a point, sometimes, quite the way verbal irony does....

The expiration date for this request is racing forward.  It is a door closing, and it seems all I can do is watch it.  It's more frustrating and discouraging that I can adequately or politely express.  However....another one has opened, one that won't require the assistance or permission of anyone. If I can't get basic respect or assistance, I will just do without it.

But.

I won't forget that I was left on the frontlines alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....