Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Come On, Thanksgiving

(a list)

We're almost to a week-long holiday.  If it doesn't hurry up and get here, I'm going to have to "take a day."  I'm that worn out.  Why, you ask?  Let me tell you about today...


  • 5 AM - Wake up.  Stare balefully at the betrayal of the iPhone. Try with limited success to make finger slide across screen to stop annoying alarm.  Eyelids slam shut.  Impatient cat attack finishes awakening process.
  • Then proceeds about an hour and a half of running in circles, sacking up trash, and forgetting to put supper in the CrockPot followed by a mad dash down the driveway during which some of the trash fell off the roof of the car.
  • 7:10 (ish) AM - School.  Restart the computer.  Try to get my bellringer up.  Fight the computer.  Try to get the bellringer up.  Pray/curse/beseech the computer.  Try to get the bellringer up...
  • 7:30 AM - DUTY.  (or, as I like to think of it, my little monthly slice of hell...)
  • 7:50 AM - "Let's get ready to rumbllllleeeee...."
  • 9:50 AM - Hi.  I'll be observing you today, but I won't be telling you what my magic rubric says.  I'll just sit over here in the corner and intimidate the crap out of you, K?  Carry on like I'm not over here scaring you.  
  • 10:15 AM - Prezi rebellion.  Mad flailing at computer.  Prezi recalcitrance.  Nervous restructuring of lesson plan.  Mad scratching on scary top-secret rubric by observer.  Prezi compliance.
  • Then proceeds a pageant of Medea, administrator-in-my-room, trying to balance giving instructions to my TA and teaching....
  • 11:50 AM - WRITE.  STOP TALKING AND WRITE.  
  • 12:10 PM - REALLY.  WRITE.  STOP TALKING AND WRITE.  Yes.  I will fix your computer.  Bring it here.
  • (repeat as needed)
  • 1:20 PM - four hundred and eighty seven problems.  And a jalapeno pimento cheese sandwich.
  • "Off period" - take down bulletin board.  put up bulletin board. make a large paper turkey.  staple silk leaves to bulletin board.  grading.  cleaning.  99 emails.  grading.  bulletin board.
  • Last bell - DUTY.  (funfunfunfunfunfun)
  • After school - grading.  grading.  singing along to the music.  grading.  redo whiteboard for tomorrow.  water plants.  print off paper turkey feathers.
  • 5:45 PM - WTW?  It's DARK OUTSIDE.  Time to go home.
  • Dinner with the parents....not cooked by me because of 5:00 AM snafu.
  • 7:45 PM - singing along with the radio.  an unexpected puppy looking for a home.  mass canine violence and chaos ensues.
Except for the unexpected dog, today wasn't all that out of character.  Now can you see why I need a holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....