Sunday, July 17, 2005

Claddagh

For love, we wear the heart. In friendship, we wear the hands. And, in loyalty and lasting fidelity: we wear the Royal Claddagh crown. -- http://www.claddagh.com/


I bought a Claddagh ring while I was in Ireland. Normally, I do not buy things that I consider overtly touristy. I don't know why. There's nothing inherently wrong with buying tourist stuff. I guess it has to do with me wanting to have things that are unique or different.

The longer I wandered around, though, the more I wanted a Claddagh ring. I have always liked them because I like their symbolism. Three of the things I believe in most strongly: friendship, love, and loyalty. Three of the things I most desire in a future mate. Three things that make all the bad things in life tolerable.

I learned more about their history from reading various sources on the trip and also from the website listed above. Like many things in Ireland, the origins are shrouded in a darn good story which may or may not be grounded in truth. Actually, that's just one more thing I love about Ireland. Nothing ever has a boring origin in Ireland. Everything is always a fantastic tale rife with poetry, mayhem, love and loss. I respect that.

I also like things with a hidden meaning or intricate traditions. The website explained this as did other sources I saw, but if your heart is free, the ring is worn crown down on the right hand. If your heart is taken, it's worn heart down on the left. There's also apparently a third position to let people know you've got your eye on somebody, heart down on the right hand. I just saw that one on the website. Who knows. I don't think there are hordes of people running around looking at rings on fingers out there, but it's one of those little personal symbols that fascinate me. A secret trove of personal information conveyed with a hand gesture.

In Killarney, I finally succumbed to the tourist trade and bought a ring. It's very simple and low detail. When I put it on, it made me happy, and touristy or not, I think that's the important thing. I like what it represents, and every time I look at it, I remember all the good things from the trip. Right now, mine is very much crown down, right hand, but God willing, I hope it will switch position and hand sometime soon.

While its not priceless, heirloom jewelry, I also hope to follow one of the other traditions of the Claddagh. One day, I hope I can give it to a little girl of my own and tell her the story of the trip from whence it came.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....