Sunday, July 03, 2005

Westminster Abbey

I don't have a quote today because I'm on a pay terminal. I'll try to do better next time. :)

I've been traveling in England, Wales, and Ireland for the past two weeks, and it's been a great experience. I can't believe all the things I've been able to seen and experience. Since this is a pay by the minute type of place, I'll relate just one and catch up on others when I get a chance.

I got to see Westminster Abbey. I still can't believe it. How did a person from the rural South get to stand in Poet's Corner and see Chaucer's grave? It seemed utterly incredible to me, like a scene from a dream. I saw the graves of kings and queens, and architecture that was glorious, but nothing moved me like seeing the names of all those men and women whose words have inspired me my whole life.

I stood and just breathed in the air, and I prayed that some tiny portion of the power with which those word-saints expressed themselves could transfer itself to me. More than anything else, I want to write. I'll never be great like them, nor will Westminster ever make a place for me, but to be able to express the world and the feelings it gives me truly would be a blessing.

When I stepped out, I felt a difference in the world. I felt changed, and I wondered if my face glowed like Moses' when he came down the mountain. Once I have five minutes to myself when there are not people everywhere, I hope to be able to put some of this down on paper.

I suppose that should be all for today. More adventures await.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....