Sunday, July 24, 2005

A Day of Reading

There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.
Walt Disney


Long quote, short post...probably....

I spent most of the day ripping through the Harry Potter book I mentioned yesterday. I finished it about 30 minutes ago. It was very good, but I can't help but feel sad. Those of you who have read it and give a crap will understand why. Feel free to drop me a line and we can discuss it. I don't want to be one of those irritating people who give away stuff on their website.

I love the sheer indulgence of spending a whole day with a book. During the school year, I don't have time to do it much, but I usually wind up spending a big part of my summers devouring books. I didn't get to do much of that this summer between one thing and another, but I've read several things over the past few days and I feel less deprived. :) There's still a healthy stack of books to be read in my sunroom-cum-library, but I don't know how many more I'll be able to do in the near future.

While I was reading, I listened to my favorite Sunday night radio shows, Echoes and Hearts of Space on NPR. I have listened to those for years. That ambient stuff is good for reading because it doesn't distract. When I was in high school, they played several hours of it every Sunday night. Now, I think they only do about two hours of it. I miss it.

Well, that's all for tonight. Nothing deep or profound. Just a peaceful day with a good book.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:28 AM CDT

    "Those of you who have read it and give a crap will understand why. Feel free to drop me a line and we can discuss it."

    As I already revealed, I would love to chat with you about it. -- DEG

    ReplyDelete

And then you said.....