Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Grow Frickin Up

I had promised myself that tonight would be a one-post, slice-of-life type of night, but after having dinner with some people and finding out some stuff, I was driven to the computer again.

When I was given the AP English position at the end of last year, I knew that some people were surprised, others were angry, and at least one was downright hostile about it. I was very much surprised myself. I never expected to get it so soon after coming to the high school. However, I thought all this was contained within our department and that it would have blown over by now. Apparently not.

I had underestimated what a frickin fishbowl I live in. It seems that it's all over the school how angry certain factions are over this. I've become the center of a stupid melodrama. I am NOT doing this for even a week. Even if I have to take the bull by the horns and talk it out, I just cannot stand this kind of silliness.

Part two of the drama comes from the students who are buzzing about how hard the class might be under me. I'm tired before I've begun. Granted, part of this is just me being sick right now. I got up at 5:00 and I'm ragged out. However, I did not need this today.

I can do this. I really believe I can be a good AP teacher. I am just in a place where I have crap pulling at me before I've even begun. Advice anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....