Monday, June 25, 2012

Home Again

After a day of Wal-Marting and catching up on things undone here at home, I am relaxing on the couch.  I woke up with slim ankles again.  Inexplicably, despite the fact that they were swollen my entire two-week trip, all that was needed to take care of the problem seems to have been a night at home.  I don't understand my body's reaction to air travel.

Everything is unpacked and all the laundry is done.  All my purchases, what few I made, are put away.  It amused me to see that mostly this trip, I bought Havianas or necklaces made from natural materials, acai seeds, bits of murano glass, semiprecious stones.  I didn't spend a whole lot of money this trip, but somehow, I feel like I brought back worlds of wealth.

I set the tremendous crystal ball the teachers at David Compista gave us as a gift on my bedside table for the time being.  I like to look at it at night before I go to bed.  I'm trying to decide whether or not I will really take it to school.  I like the idea of having it there, but it might be safer and less hassle to have it here.

I need to be blogging over on the other space, but for tonight, I just want to do a little trivia.  I'm not up to feats of grandeur that I always feel are required with that trip blog.  Maybe tomorrow I will focus on getting it all shaped up.  I've already done most of my pictures.  I suppose there are still about 50 I need to edit, but I didn't feel up to dealing with that today.

Today, I have felt odd in my own spaces, a consequence of a big trip that changes everything, I suppose.  Brazil, even though it was only a 14-day hop, was that for me.  I haven't even sounded out all the things that are different yet.  Some of them are very small.  I have a mug of coffee sitting next to me.  I had a glass of the wine I've had since the last time I went to Bloomington with my casserole tonight.

Some of them are not.  I am constantly turning over ways I can do things related to Brazil in my classes next year.  I have a couple of ideas, and I am hoping very much that I can get them to work out.  I think I have a couple of ideas for projects for the National Honor Society, too.  I want to get started on it.

Regardless, I am still caught between two places mentally.  It's astonishing how fast I got used to Brazil, how comfortable it was.  I didn't feel that at home even in Costa Rica, and I could communicate much better in CR.  I want to learn Portuguese and go back to Brazil, spend real time there, see what it is that makes it feel so oddly familiar.

Now, I'm going to finish this cup of coffee and a book I've been working on forever.  Maybe by tomorrow it will have registered that there is not something I have to run around and do.  It still feels strange to be still and quiet.  I guess that's something else to get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....