Friday, June 29, 2012

Too Darn Hot

I decided to go to town today since the thing with the bank has finally resolved.  As soon as I left the house, it was like being hit with a draft of air from a blast furnace.  Wet, scorching heat wrapped around me.  As I drove, I was aware that the air had a yellowish haze hanging just above the treeline, the nastiness literally made visible.

Welcome to summer in Mississippi.  I hope you packed your flip flops, your sunscreen, and lots and lots of liquids....

I checked Swackett to see how hot it was, how hot it was supposed to be, and for a short time, the GPS in it was firmly stuck on Brasilia.  I had to laugh.  I don't blame it.  The high today was 79 in Brasilia.  If I had a chance to stay in that comfortable, non-humid climate, I'd take it, too.

When Swackett finally hit a weather station near me, it registered 101 degrees.  The "feels like" temperature with the heat index is 109, though.  109.  We're not even close to August yet, which is when our weather usually gets super-stupid.  109.  Cheezus.

I dragged my stuff in the house when I got home and mixed up a jug of pink lemonade.  Just looking out the door at that shimmering golden goo that is passing itself off for atmosphere at present makes me feel hot and thirsty.  It's a good day to spend the rest of the afternoon on a couch somewhere with a fan turning above you.  Luckily, I happen to know just the right place for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....