Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Yeah. What You Said....

I've been using a hybrid Portuglish (or Spanglese) mix to get things accomplished here in Brazil.  It's been going okay.  It hasn't been a stunning success every time.  I am picking up more and more Portuguese, catching the sound of it more quickly than I had thought I would because of its relationship to Spanish, but there have been some really ridiculous moments.

There have been endless patient people in restaurants, stores, and taxis who have helped me get what I need with my mixed and flailing language.  If you've never had this experience, you ought to put yourself on a plane most immediately and go do it.  I think nothing puts you in your appropriate place as much as spending some quality time trying to deal with the basics of life while having to work for basic communication.

I am still laughing about realizing that I told our waitress at lunch that I and my group were separated like people getting a divorce instead of using the word that means wanting separate checks.  Damn you, false cognates and near homophones.  There is, after all, a world of difference in the RIGHT word and the word that is ALMOST right.  The waitress at the place we had lunch, a sushi restaurant by the lake here in Brasilia, was fantastic.  She assumed my language command was way better than it was, but we pressed on, had lunch, paid for it, and had a good time.

Tonight, we went back to that same area by the lake for a late dinner.  We didn't go to the sushi bar, but rather to a place that serves caipirinhas with a limeade popsicle in them.  I had one and didn't finish it.  I could feel the cachaça from the first sip, and while I liked the taste, Topamax and alcohol really don't mix well.  One of the members of my group kept telling me to finish the drink, and I told him he'd have to carry me out.  I will probably try one again, but sheesh....  I think two would put me on the floor.

I need to be in bed, but I feel like reading and listening to some music.  Tomorrow, we leave Brasilia for our other city.  I am looking forward to it, but it's hard to think this time has gone so fast.  I guess it always does when you're having fun with language....

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....