Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rings and Things

I'm sitting on the couch looking at two rings, one on each index finger.  The stone in one is clear quartz crystal.   The stone in the other is amethyst.  Each is a single large gem in a simple silver setting.  As I look at them, I see not the rings themselves but rather the places where I got them and the people who created them.  I will always see Brazil when I look at them on my hands.  It's why I bought them to start with.

The large amethyst was one of the first things I bought when I arrived.  I was walking in the Hippie Market at the base of the TV Tower in Brasilia, and I found a booth that had the most incredible gemstone jewelry.  I knew that I wanted a large piece of Brazilian amethyst, and when I saw the cabochon ring in the case, it felt exactly right.

I tried it on, and of course it was too small for me.  The jeweler and I negotiated in our respective languages for him to adjust it, and by the time I went back to the hotel for dinner, I was wearing the large dusky purple stone on my hand.  When I came back to Brasilia, my friends and I went back to the Hippy Market for one last bit of shopping before leaving the country.  I made sure to stop back by the gemstone jewelry booth while we were there.

To my happy surprise, the jeweler remembered me instantly.  I do understand that I am a little remarkable in my appearance, standing out even more when I'm abroad usually.  It still pleased me that he was happy to see me, not running away since we'd been through the whole resizing of the ring thing before.  A customer was there with him when we walked up, and as I looked through the cases, she started to speak to us in English.  She was a language teacher who liked to come down and buy things from the jeweler.  She helped us talk to each other, and I found two other pieces by him I liked, a pair of earrings and a pendant that matched my ring almost exactly in size and color.  As I was leaving, the jeweler asked me when I was coming back to Brazil.  I told him, "As soon as possible."  I meant it.  I also told him with the assistance of the teacher who was there that every time I saw the ring on my hand I would remember him and his kindness.  I meant that, too.

The other ring, the crystal one, is from Pocos de Caldas.  I bought it in the little shop downtown that was full of beautiful things from top to bottom, the mineral wealth of the region and the nation.  The girl in the shop and I found a way to communicate, she speaking Portuguese, me answering in Spanish, and she told me about each of the stones in the rings and necklaces when I asked.  Given the situation, it was a surprisingly good conversation.

When I saw the ring, I knew I wanted it.  The stone is clear as ice, and it catches light beautifully.  She brought it out of the case, and of all the things in the store, it was the only ring I tried on and had fit instantly.  I needed to go get more cash (since by this time the theft of my debit card number had occurred) to get it though.  I told her I would be back in my broken communication, and I headed for the ATM.  About 45 minutes later, after walking to the bank, calling my US bank and having an unpleasant conversation about my access to my accounts, and finally getting some money, I came back.  The ring balanced the Brasilia amethyst the remainder of the trip, and now every time I look at it, I think of Pocos, the hills, the city of clear, pure spring water, the cool and sweet air there.  The crystal quartz just fit.

Now, even though I am thousands of miles away from Brazil, I still carry it with me both metaphysically and literally.  It is as if the memories I have in some way solidified, were polished,  have been wrapped in delicate silver, and now can be seen by others, too.  I like the idea of that, actually.  These may not be pieces that fit every single person's tastes, but for me, they are a perfect memento of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....