Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Back Again

Well, Monday I finally got tired of the pain, and I went to see my doctor. His analysis was that I had torn a muscle in my back with my silly big bag. He gave me Lortab and Robaxin, had a nurse shoot me full of two different kinds of medicine for the inflammation, told me to take Alieve twice a day and sent me home.

The last two nights, I've come home, had a fairly hearty meal to hold down the pills, taken everything and been asleep by 9:00. It's the first good rest I've had since I did this to myself last week. I felt better just after one night of undisturbed rest. The muscle is still pulling some. Today, I must have done something stupid and angered it. That being said, it's much, much better.

The doctor told me that I can't carry that big honkin' L.L. Bean bag anymore. He has consigned me to a rolling backpack type of thing which I HATE, but I have to admit, it's nice not to have to swing all that weight up on my shoulder and almost fall over twice a day.

I think the bag I bought is going to wear out depressingly soon, but at least I won't have time to get tired of it that way. I wonder if L.L. Bean makes rolling bags. Their stuff is almost indestructible. One of their big purple backpacks lasted me from my sophomore year of college through Costa Rica, grad school, Thailand, and Japan. I'd be using it still, but the water resistant liner deteriorated and a rat chewed a hole in the bottom.

The steroids, in their typical fashion, have made me excessively twitchy and irritable. I've been trying very hard not to take it out on my classes, but sometimes, especially at times like today when my room had no air, it gets really hard. Hopefully, these will cycle out in a couple of days and I'll be back to whatever passes for normal for me.

Well, it's about the magic hour. I'm not going to take the Lortab tonight, but because the muscle is twitching and tight, I guess I'll take the other one. Maybe tomorrow night, I won't need either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....