Thursday, August 09, 2007

Taking the Wind from the Sails

This afternoon, after a long day of moving books and boxes and trying to be all things to all people, I had a meeting in which a college sophomore told me I wasn't having my AP students write strenuously enough, unless of course, I was sending them to an inferior school like Ole Miss or MSU. No, I'm not kidding. Lord, don't I wish I were.

She said she felt unprepared for college comp after coming out of our school. Now, I would just like to say that this person was never any sort of student of mine, but I still felt the sting of her comments. I work very hard at what I do, checking and rechecking with collegiate standards, and to have some underage individual tell me that I'm not doing my job right really, really hacked me off. To have her slam MSU, even though I am not a rabid bulldog fan, with that sort of matter-of-fact private school arrogance hacked me off even more. I hate elitism.

Oh, be proud of me gentle reader. I didn't say a word. I dutifully typed her comments into our meeting minutes and bit my tongue. I can't say her words haven't set off a plague of doubts and reevaluations in me, though. Just what I needed to take the wind right out of my sails and leave me, like the Ancient Mariner, in the hell of becalmed seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....