Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Hell of Faculty Meetings

I loathe faculty meetings. In fact, I loathe all meetings. I really wish people could just write succinct memos and communicate via email. Instead, The Powers That Be regularly corral us into an auditorium or the library and my frustration level grows and grows.

It's not that these meetings are ill-run, necessarily. It's just that I have no patience with sitting still when there are so many other things I need to be doing, grading, planning, photocopying, something, something other than taking up space and fidgeting in a chair wishing for my freedom.

I never take the announcements well. Things that aren't really big deals grow in my mind to epic proportions. I get upset. I get headaches. I wish I could be like one of my most famous colleagues and just get up and leave.

I went to my room, threw my crap in my bag, and got out. I cooked some rice and had some tuna. I'm about to watch Hamlet with Kenneth Brannagh. I'm not dealing with any of this stuff until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....