Saturday, August 18, 2007

Pain

At some point during last week, I lifted my ridiculously heavy work bag and pulled a muscle in my neck and back. Once upon a time, back in my Biological Sciences major days, I could have told you whether it was the latisimus dorsi or the trapezius, but now all I know is that it hurts like perdition.

When I sleep, I roll over and wake up because the muscle is mad. When I try to get out of my chair or sit down again, the muscle gets mad. If I try to reach at a certain angle or put my laptop off my lap and onto the stool in front of me, the muscle gets mad.

Needless to say, life hasn't been to spiffy 'round the house lately. Several times, I've gotten sort of stuck between lying down and sitting up or between sitting up and standing. I've applied heat and taken Advil. If it doesn't resolve itself after a weekend free of the workbag of doom, I'm going to have to go see a doctor, one of my least favorite ways to spend time.

One good thing did come from it today. In an effort to give the shoulder the maximum amount of rest, I simply sat and read all day. I polished off two books that I'd bought recently, and am about to go back for more of The Count of Monte Cristo, which is fast turning into one of the best books I've ever read. Since I'm reading the unabridged version, it's going sort of slowly, but I love, love, love Edmond Dantes. He's even more wonderful than the Musketeers, and I'm only just getting to the execution of his revenge.

Well, I'm off to a hot shower followed by more painkillers and some reading. Maybe I won't wake up fourteen times tonight because the muscle disapproves of my position.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....