Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Athena and AverKeys

Today, the three-day headache finally abated. I had almost reached the point of wanting to just hide under the covers and cry when I woke up with it again this morning. I do not know what's causing these stupid things, but I am very grateful that this one has at last relented.

I told the story of Athena and Arachne today as a part of our mythology bellringer, and as an introductory note on Athena, I talked about her birth. It was ironic in the extreme that I was telling about a goddess who gave her father such a headache that he had Vulcan split open his skull to relieve it. I wasn't that bad off today, but yesterday about 5th period, that would have seemed like a really good plan to me if it would have meant the pain would just go away.

This afternoon, I've been trying to chase down an AVerKey for my mom's classroom. She wants low-tech and needs to hook her TV to her computer to show some PowerPoints. It's amazing how hard it is to find low tech when you need it. I went to RadioShack, and the poor guy who waited on me will probably run away and hide in the stockroom if he ever sees me coming again. First I asked for an AVerKey. Nope. Then I asked for a USB A male to female cord that wasn't 10 feet long. Nope. I asked for single USB adapter end to convert a shorter cord to a female ending. Nope.

Finally, I asked him if they carried a wireless transmitter to hook my laptop to my stereo so I can listen to all my ripped music on my big stereo while I'm doing work. Uh...... He took me over to the corner of the store where such products were, and he didn't think they had that either, but I found it myself. I'm now listening to all my ripped music files while I'm working. It's quite spiffy if I do say so myself.

The last thing of any note today was a thinking style inventory we had to take during our faculty meeting this afternoon. There were four styles, Abstract Sequential, Concrete Sequential, Abstract Random, and Concrete Random. Guess which one I was. I was Concrete Random. There were only two of us in the whole room. Gee, lookit, Cygnus is in her own little weirdo category again, surprise, surprise. My admin told me that means I like to experiment with things. I think that's a pretty understated way of saying I like to tinker with stuff a lot, and then tinker with it some more, and then tinker with it again..... I'm going to do some more research on this whole concept as she seemed to find the results very significant in some way.

Off to Google....

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....