Friday, September 21, 2007

A Day Off

It's about 10 in the morning, and I'm sitting in my rocking chair. Every window in the house is open, the washing machine is gently swishing, and the attic fan is a soothing roar in the background. I am as relaxed now as I've been in months. It's amazing.

I took this day off from school because I have an entire bag of papers I need to grade. I'm realizing now, though, that the grading was a small part of what I needed a day off for. I needed the attic fan and the washing machine. I needed the sound of windchimes from my porch and the agitated fussing of hummingbirds coming to the feeders. I needed to get away from the too often too loud halls of my school and the everyday grind of my job.

I think that when I return Monday, I'll be able to feel much more positive about things. I'm going to go start working on the papers now, but these few hours of peaceful rest from the routine have been divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....