Monday, September 03, 2007

The Sound and the Fury...Again


Faulkner had to have chosen the title of this book as a huge joke on his readers. This whole book is a tale full of sound and fury, told by an idiot, and signifying nothing. Maybe he was trying to force us into seeing all life in those terms, but I think it more likely that he's got a huge in-joke going about the people who read this book and fawn all over it.

This is my second time around with Sound. I read it during AP my senior year, and I hated it so much then that I didn't want to read any more Faulkner ever again. I've come to the point where I enjoy Faulkner most of the time, but I still can't say that I like this book. Is it interesting that we get stream of consciousness from three or four different characters? Yes. Is it his best work? Not by a long shot. The characters are getting lost in the storytelling about half the time.

I've been reading it all day today, and I only have about 100 pages left. I still have to finish it and produce a 2-3 page paper about it before Thursday, so maybe some great and powerful revelation will engulf me and make me change my mind about it. Unless that happens, I will be greatly relieved when the last page has once again been turned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....