Sunday, January 31, 2010

Extreme Home Makeover

I know this show has been on awhile, but I am watching my first episode of it right now.  I'm tearing up the whole time.  It's beautiful.  What a lovely, lovely thing.  Whoever came up with the concept for this show ought to get some kind of award.

The family they're honoring today has a prison warden father, a mother who keeps children for others and five kids in the house.  They're changing lives and not asking for anything for themselves, just going through the process of doing the right things like so many people try to do with nothing.  It's inspiring and literally restoring to my heart to see people like this get some great good things given to them.  I know that doing good is its own reward, but sometimes when the world sees and acknowledges those sacrifices and honors them, even for a minute, it is beautiful.

I love that it the homes are built by local volunteers.  I love that the products and housewares are donated by national corporations.  I love that they send the family off on a vacation instead of forcing them to build even though you know these families would gladly grab a hammer or a shovel. 

Being the hosts of this show must be just the best job in the world.  I hope it runs for a long, long time.  It is worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....