Saturday, January 16, 2010

iPhone

My beloved BlackBerry finally started to die. It stopped ringing when it was supposed to, and it started to need constant battery pulls.  External parts began to be "wiggly," and the battery life had gotten down to nothing.  It had been a constant and faithful companion, but it was done, basically. 

 After it failed to go off as my backup alarm yesterday morning, I had had enough.  I went out to dinner with my parents last night and afterward, I went to the AT&T store to check on whether or not I could upgrade.  I was ready for one, amazingly enough, and so I looked at the smartphones they had.  I've been pondering this issue for awhile.  Did I want to go with a new Berry or did I want to change over to one of the iPhones?  I was fortunate enough to get a good salesman at the store, and he and I talked about the two models a bit.  He'd used both, currently had both, and could answer some of my questions about making the switch. 

For a variety of reasons, I would up with an iPhone.  So far, I like it a lot.  I'm still trying to get used to the size difference, mostly.  I got so used to the Curve just fitting in the palm of my hand, but I love the touch interface on the iPhone.  I spent most of the night last night and then again this morning tweaking it.  I found a couple of websites that will let me get some nice wallpaper and I found a free utility that lets me make ringtones with a minimum of fuss. 

I transferred all the goofy apps I had already found for my iPod touch over, and I found several others, including another that I love that's called Nightstand that shows an oldfashioned flip-type clock with weather, too, and a wallpaper that I can change along with an alarm clock.  It cost me all of a dollar, and it fixed all the problems I had with the iPhone's look and solved my morning alarm issue prettily, too.  I can keep that app running whenever I have my phone on the dock, and it makes the phone into a gorgeous clock/weather station. 

So far, the only thing I can't do with the iPhone that I had with the Berry is access Google Voice.  Since I wasn't using it that much anyway, it's not that great a loss to me, but I do wish Google would release a version for iPhone.  I know why they're not since they just released their own phone and all, but still...

Well, it's a rainy Saturday, and I think I'm going to get a nap now.  I'm tired from all that iPhone tweaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....