Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Reader

After waiting for three years, I got news Thursday afternoon that I have been chosen to be a reader for the national exam that I teach.  I'm ecstatic. I get to spend a week this summer grading thousands of essays.  Sounds like loads of fun, right?  Okay, so maybe it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I am genuinely thrilled to have this opportunity.  I've wanted to do it since I first became aware of being able to sign up.

There are so many reasons why this is going to be a good experience.  First, it's going to let me get so much first-hand knowledge about exactly what the graders are looking for.  There is no professional development like being trained to a rubric, like actually working with the makers of a test.  I expect to come away from this with newfound insight into how to help my students improve their writing and how to improve my own performance as a teacher. 

Almost as important to me is getting to meet people who love literature and writing as much as I do from all over the country.  It's a LitGeek fest!  They will understand what the heck I'm talking about, and while they may not be weird just like me, we'll be different strains of the same kind of weird.  It will be a nice change.  I'm looking forward to having a large group of people who don't get a sort of distant, bored, or frightened look in their eyes when I mention works of classical literature.  I am also looking forward to being challenged by these people to increase my own base of knowledge since some of the people who always come to these readings are practically demi-gods in this field.  Maybe I won't put my foot in it too often....

The last reason I'm giddy is because the place where the reading will be is only about two hours away from Bloomington.  I am planning to go there after I get done with the reading.  I can't believe I will actually get to see IU again.  I've been thinking so much about B'town lately and wondering what's changed on the campus in the time since I've left.  I will get to go to Bear's and get a chilidog.  I will FINALLY get to replace my ratty IU shirts!  I will go to Oliver Winery, and even though I can't drink it because of the freakin' Topamax, I will get a bottle or two of Camelot Mead and Muscat Canelli on principal.  It will be incredibly good to be a stranger in that familiar land.

The only downside to this wonderful news is that I'm going to have to leave before the end of our current school year to do this.  I don't want to miss graduation for this class.  I like to see each batch of seniors finish and walk.  However, I can't be in two places at the same time, so I hope they will be able to forgive me.  I just can't turn this down.  I may never get another chance if I do. 

I needed this good news so much Thursday.  It has helped to cheer me from my January blahs and given me something to look forward to.  Now every time I feel cruddy, I can look toward the summer and the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....