Sunday, January 24, 2010

Machine Curse Strikes Again

Sigh.

Sometimes I wonder about that old Machine Curse....

There were two pops tonight during the sermon, one soft, almost unnoticable, almost like someone bumping a microphone by accident, the other loud enough to make me jump.  It came from near the organ, and I sit next to the organ on the front pew during the sermon so it's easy to get back to it for the invitation hymn and the postlude.  I cautiously looked at the organ, but from the angle of my seat, I couldn't see any problems, and I assumed that our pastor had accidentally tapped the top of the podium or something.  I relaxed and tried to focus my mind.

When it came time for my friend and I to go back to the instruments for the invitation hymn, we silently took our seats, and I noticed that the lights were off on all the stops.  I thought maybe I had accidentally flipped the master power switch, so I tried that.  No joy.  Only a few moments remained before the start of the hymn.  It's sort of amazing what you can do when you're motivated.  I unplugged and replugged the organ, reset the breaker on the big surge box that protects it and tried a few other things before I looked across at my pianist friend and mouthed, "It's dead."  She'd been watching me frantically flail.  Being the consummate professional she is, she didn't bat an eye.  She just carried on.  Our teacher, Mrs. Sarah, would have been proud.

After the service, the morning organist and I tried to revive the stricken instrument to no avail.  Whatever went boom took it all the way out.  It will require professional aid.  I just hope that it can be restored.  I'm no Bach, but the thought of it being out for a long time or gone for good is not comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....