Monday, August 27, 2012

My White Whale

Every single printer I had ran out of toner and ink at the same time today.  Of course, that time was the moment when I needed to print tests, worksheets, and instruction sheets for all my classes.  Joy.

To prevent another day of intensive crappery, I knew I'd have to go to OfficeThing after school and pick up the necessary supplies.  I had a meeting, did some work, and then headed toward that part of town.  I had no idea I was about to have another encounter with my own personal white whale.

As I cruised by one of the car dealerships between me and my goal, I glanced at the lot.  I like to look at the pretty cars.  Sue me.  On the end of a row near the road sat a gleam of royal blue.  I did a double take.  Sure enough, it was the vintage Charger convertible.  It was back.

Being that it was five o'clock-ish traffic, I couldn't get over in time, and I kept on toward my office supply destination instead.  I toyed with the idea of going back when I was done, but it seemed silly.

I bought my toner and ink as fast as I could and before anything else could waylay me and steal massive amounts of my money.  (I have no control when I am near shiny office stuff.)  I came out and tucked the precious lifeblood of my classroom into the back, and paused.  Should I go back?  Shouldn't I just go home?  For the same reasons I went to look at the RoadRunner, I decided that I had to see it.

Back through the hellish traffic.  Back onto the lot.  And.  Of course it was gone.  I couldn't believe it.  I'd been less than thirty minutes.  Was it even real?  Is it just a cruel mirage?  I muttered to myself about using employee vehicles as bait and fought my way out into the traffic, hit the interstate, and headed west.

Someday, it will be mine.  Oh yes.  It will be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....