Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Songs with Wings

So many of my favorite lines and favorite songs have the image of flight in them.  I started thinking about that today.  Here are a few examples:

  • "Oh, had I wings I would fly away and be at rest..."  ~ "Ecstasy," Crooked Still (traditional hymn)
  • "On my way to better things / I found myself some wings / Distant roads are calling me...."  ~ "No Time Left for You," The Guess Who
  • "My love she's like some raven / at my window with a broken wing."  ~ "Love Minus Zero / No Limit," Bob Dylan
  • "One glad morning when this life is done / I'll fly away..."  "I'll Fly Away," traditional hymn
  • "Perhaps I'll be a bird one day/ if I'm good enough/ and I'll spread out and fly away/ and give up all this stuff."  "Meheni Rachi," Laura Marling version
  • "I'm learning to fly / but I ain't got wings/ coming down is the hardest thing." ~ "Learning to Fly," Tom Petty
  • "And when we die/ we say we'll catch some blackbird's wing/ Then we'll fly away to heaven come some sweet bluebonnet spring..." ~ "Gulf Coast Highway," Nanci Griffith
  • "...Last night I dreamt that I grew wings/ I found a place where they could hear me when I sing."  ~ "Wings," Josh Ritter

I'm sure there are more, but it's late and I'm tired.  This is all I can think of for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....