Sunday, October 28, 2012

What a Little Moonlight Can Do

My yard, my porch, the field beside the house, all of it is soaked in the most beautiful full moon of the year, the October moon.  I came home from church and walked my dogs by light so bright that I almost couldn't tell where the security light ended and where the moonlight began.  The dogs were full of happiness because everything is out and about in the woods, so adventures aplenty abound.

Today, this night of the October moon, is when the ancient Celts would be celebrating their new year, Samhain, the night  when the veil between the land of the living and the land of the dead is pulled aside.  I'm enjoying the beauty of the orb even if it doesn't have any particular religious significance for me.

I have my the playlist that I entitled "moonmusic" spinning, and I've stolen a few pieces of candy out of the big bag I am taking to school later this week.  It's calm and it's peaceful and it's very nearly perfect.

I wonder why so many of the great old songs had to do with the moon.  Examples right off the top of my head:  "Fly Me to the Moon," "Paper Moon," "Moon River," and "What a Little Moonlight Can Do."  Do we have that many modern moon songs?  Did it lose its mystery and magic for us once we set foot on it?  These songs are still wonderful, still full of an innocence and a hope that I sometimes miss in modern music, especially the hope part.  As long as the singer has the light of the moon and the person s/he loves, everything is going to be okay.  How often do you hear a song where things are that simple, that pure?

Maybe a little more old-fashioned enchantment by the moon wouldn't be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....