Friday, October 26, 2012

Two Movies

Tonight, I actually watched two films.  I saw both Abraham Lincoln:  Vampire Hunter and Avengers Assemble.  I had wanted to watch both for ages.  How different was my reaction to the two.

Abraham Lincoln was in so many ways a disappointment.  I was surprised to learn that the author of the book was actually in charge of the screen play.  It was so completely unrecognizable as the same work that I just assumed somebody else was in control of it.  I wonder why they went away from the very engaging text.  I cannot say that everything they changed was to make it "easier to film" or something like that, changes that sometimes have to occur because of the limits of the technical aspect of film.  These changes were just....bad changes.  It lessened the power of the story to me.  If the change you make makes it worse, don't change it.

The second movie, Avengers Assemble, was actually much better than I had hoped for.  Again, Joss Whedon turns out an amazing work.  To have that many strong personalities in one picture was a gamble.  But the dynamic on the screen was so close to what they are in the comics, not necessarily close, but working together and forming bonds - against their own will and better judgment - in the process.

It has to be said, too, that at times, I could feel the spirit of Firefly in the movie.  Mal would have been right at home with them, although let's face it, he and Tony Stark would have issues, problems, and miscommunications applenty.  Everything I've ever seen Whedon turn out has that same beautiful strength to it, that same feeling that no matter what our differences are, no matter what our individual quirks, it is always better if we come together.

I really hope they will continue to make more of these films.  They are well-written and great good fun.  Two of my favorite scenes were when Captain America was handing out assignments and he told the Hulk, "You...SMASH."  It was perfect.  Also perfect was the scene in which Loki is running his mouth off and is then picked up by the feet and thrashed back and forth against the floor until he cannot move or speak by the Hulk.  He says something to the effect of, "I am a GOD..." and then he gets his butt handed to him on a platter.  Nice.  A quick extra favorite came when Thor and the Hulk were in a lull in the battle and the Hulk side-punched Thor through a building.  It was snarky, sneaky, and in perfect keeping with everything that had gone on with them previously.  Nice continuity.  Nice characterization.

I will watch Avengers again.  It is pleasant and well done.  As for Abraham Lincoln, if I never see it again, that will be okay.  I am going to go back and reread the book to get that good storyline back in my head.  It's so clouded with crap right now from the movie that I am losing my liking for it.  It was too good a book to let the movie version be the last encounter I have with it.  What a shame when bad films happen to good books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....