Saturday, December 05, 2009

Chimneyville Crafts Fair

Today, my best friend and I went to Chimneyville.  I look forward to that show all year long.  The things that people can do, the sheer raw creativity accumulated in that one building never fails to give me a lift.  It's a feast of inspiration for my own feeble talents, and just such a wonderful place to look and talk and see.  I never have enough money to get what I want.  I would need thousands....  There are so many gifted artists there, and I want a little something (or a not-so-little something) from most of them.  Eyes and fingers are drawn to the play of light and color, to the loveliness of wood, pottery, glass, metal, jewels, and fabric.   Every conceivable artform is there, and each exhibitor is a master of his or her craft.

Today, I visited the three artisans I always go to, but I only bought from one of them this year.  I loved everything I saw from them, but I just decided this year, I wanted something different.

For the past three years I've been going to Chimneyville, there's been a potter I've wanted a piece from, but I've never been able to get one of his pieces because either the one I wanted was always gone by the time I made my circle of the show and got back to his booth or because I simply didn't have enough money.  Today, though, I was ready.  I got a dragon today from the very talented Sam Clark, and I love it.  His dragons have the most wonderful expressions.  They always look like they're extremely clever and up to something, just as a dragon should be.

I want so much to take him to my classroom, but I'm afraid he will meet an untimely demise if I do that, so I will find a place among my Japanese dragons and maneki neko for him to live.  I think he'll feel right at home here.  Maybe next year, I will be able to bring him a sly-smiling friend to whom he can tell his dragon secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....