Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Vintage Holiday Imagery



I'm cruising around looking for vintage holiday imagery online since my head is too fuzzy to let me do what I need to do right now, which is get up and clean my house intensively.  I am searching for New Year stuff since I have plenty for Christmas.  I found this postcard, and it intrigued me.  Look at the symbolism. 

Its obvious appeal to me is the dancing fool bit, of course, but it also drew me in with the absolute menace of the Time figure.  He's much more like the angel of death than usual.  Notice the way he's leaning on Earth and encompassing it with his sickle. Yet, his face is gentle, almost compassionate, loving.  I would love to know what year this one came out. 

The message might still stick, though.  We might do well to remember that Time is still leaning over us maybe more than ever.  I say this not because we should "eat, drink, and be merry" but because we should be conscious every day that we need to rightly count them and appreciate them because we don't know how many of them we have.  To go back to my precious Transcendentalists, we need to be seizing whatever days are put in front of us.  Sooner or later, Time will have to stop leaning and raise that sickle, no matter how amused by our capering he may be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....