Thursday, December 03, 2009

Christmas Music

I've not been in a very festive mood yet this year.  I've put up almost no decorations, gotten no tree, decked no halls.  This morning, though, I dug out my cd case of Christmas music and took it to school with me.  As I rolled down the driveway, I popped in one of my very favorite discs, Third Day's Christmas Offerings cd. 

Every year, the cds take me by surprise.  The music was so good.  I found myself singing before I got on the interstate.  By the time I was in town, I was in full song, and my mood was lifted.  I was contemplating Christmas and feeling cheery.  It was a nice way to start the day.

Christmas music has such a wonderful effect.  It helps me reach for the holiday long before my heart is ready.  Whether it's Elvis or Oh Holy Night, I need it at this time of the year.  It's too hard to balance all the other pressures with the joy that is supposed to be present.  The sweet notes of those precious, seldom-heard songs twining through crowds and hectic activity remind me about what I'm supposed to be focused on.  It's a much-needed reminder and lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....