Monday, August 23, 2010

The Miscellanea of Living

Yesterday, it seems that I mowed grass all day long.  My Husqvarna zero turn has been in the shop for over a month waiting on repair.  Never have a mower go down during the height of the season in the Deep South.  I could practically hear the bahia every night out there growing for the stars.  It had started to take on bamboo-like aspects by the time they finally got mine put back together again.  It needed a new solenoid. 

I had to mow every single blade of the yard twice.  That may not sound like much, but I live on a seven acre lot, and quite a lot of that lot is grass.  Hence the zero-turn.  Hence my frustration at not having said zero turn for so long.  It's working quite well now, though.  It needed every adjustment it got.  It's much faster now, and the steering is much less precocious. 

It's strange to look outside now by the light of the almost full moon and see the yard neatly mowed, though.  I can see the dried trails of grass clippings like windrows waiting to be raked and bailed, slightly silver despite the rain we got today.  In a couple of days, all that will be gone, but just the uniform flatness of it is a little disconcerting.  I got so used to it being wild that now that it's tame again, it looks like somebody else's house. 

It's funny how fast we get used to things, I guess.  It will be nice, regardless, not to have to wade through knee-high stalks when I take the dogs out in the morning.  I know Yelldo will enjoy not having to do his dog-porpoise routine just to be able to see now, too.  It's good to be able to bring some order to something in my life, even if it is just the lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....