Sunday, August 01, 2010

Simple Pleasures

I didn't feel good today. I'm having a sick day, and I started to spend it all on the couch.  This is the last weekend before the rigmarole of school starts, and I haven't had much of a summer to recover in.  However, the theater I love was going to show another classic movie, so I dragged it all together and went to town.

I was so glad that I did.  The movie was fun, Thoroughly Modern Millie.  It was interesting to see the 1960s take on the 1920.  Those two eras colliding was a happy trainwreck.  It was cute, funny, comedic, and mushy romantic with a nice happy ending.  Just exactly what I needed today.  The music was fun, too. 

As always, I loved the theater, and this time, I took my camera with me.  I got a couple of interior shots, but they didn't come out very well.  I will try again next time I go, maybe.  The lighting is really, really bad in there for photography, and I felt exceptionally conspicuous running around with the camera. 

After I got out of the theater, I decided that since I had my camera with me I'd try to get a few of the things in downtown that I hadn't got yet but wanted.  One of the shots required me to get on the pedestrian walkway of an overpass bridge to shoot it.  The access to that walkway is behind a bunch of old mostly empty buildings downtown next to the train tracks.  Going there was not my smartest moment. 

I checked carefully under the overpass for traces of people.  Nobody was living there or hanging out there, and I thought I could get up, get the shot, and get back around the block since there was nobody around.  That was just stupid.  While I was up, some miscellaneous guy walked out of one of the empty buildings about halfway down the block and strolled down under the overpass.  I waited, but he never came out the other side.  He also didn't come up onto the pedestrian path.  I came part of the way down the stairs and looked.  He was just standing under the overpass smoking. 

I got out my cellphone, called somebody and told them where I was and told them what was going on as I headed down.  I figured that even if I had to run for it, I would be able to make it.  It was a short block.  I stayed on the phone, and he just watched me go. 

It was silly of me to do what I did.  I keep thinking every place is safe, when I suppose, almost no place is these days.  I put myself into situations without thought, and then, suddenly, I look around and realize that I probably never should have been there in the first place.  My guardian angel certainly has to work overtime.

On the other hand, that guy may have been perfectly harmless.  Maybe he just liked to hang out under bridges.  I hate this world we live in sometimes, where everybody always has to be thinking all the time of every person around us as a threat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....