Saturday, August 28, 2010

That Question Again

Another thing I'd forgotten about teaching sophomores is the questions.  There are things seniors will ask you and things they won't.  Sophomores acknowledge no boundaries.  Your life is their playground.  I've always been a little amazed by that.  If they want to know, they just ask.  I miss that fearlessness a little.

Being on the receiving end of it again takes some getting used to again, however.  I got asked yesterday if I was married.  Now, that's a question seniors will ask.  Usually, though, when you tell them no, they stop.  They recognize that if a woman of my age says no, there are probably paths they don't want to walk behind there.  For a sophomore, this is merely the opening of an entire irresistible Pandora's Box of other issues....

I got a chance to reevaluate my life thoroughly.  The marriage question led to the children question.  The children question led to a boyfriend question.  The boyfriend question was connected to an age question...  I think I'm going to make a big poster and hang it next to my classroom rules so I don't have to run through that rather depressing list again.  Then I guess all answers to life can be found on my bulletin boards...  Sigh.  Maybe I'll make up some fictional responses that are more interesting than the real ones.  That might be amusing, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....