Thursday, March 22, 2012

All Good Things....

“If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.” ~ Orson Welles

I went to see my neurologist today, and since things are going well, he decided to start the process of taking me off the Topamax.  I couldn't be happier.  Topamax is a very mixed blessing for me, something that gives with one hand and takes with the other.  I have been on it so long now that I'm not sure what I'm like off it anymore.  It's been about five years (I think), and they've been long ones full of forgetfulness, language difficulties, weariness, and words that go missing at inopportune moments.  I cannot wait to get it out of my system if my poor stupid head will allow it.  If I can manage fewer than six headaches a month, I can stay off it.  We'll just have to see how it goes.

As of today, I have also decided not to fool with something else that I've found frustrating lately.  It's a more personal issue, but it has made me feel ridiculous and bad, and I decided a long time ago that I don't have to be stuck with situations of that type.  I'm not going to "talk it through."  I'm not going to "voice my concerns" because I don't think they matter, and so I won't waste the time doing it.  I'm just going to wash my hands and walk away.  The end.

It's odd to think of these endings coming.  I can only do what I can to follow the advice of Welles above.  I guess we'll just have to see if I stopped these stories at the right time to get happiness out of them after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And then you said.....